The Chapel Grows
The premises were extended and altered over the course of the next 20 years. First was the “Jennings Memorial Hall.” Chick explains that Richard Jennings, treasurer of the Trust, met with a sad accident on August 23rd 1895. He was knocked down by his pony which took fright at some cyclists, and died on September 4th. The hall at the rear of the church became without another thought the Jennings Memorial. Mr F. Newcombe’s tender of £198.15.0 was accepted at a trustees meeting on May 6th 1896 and the Hall was opened on October 14th.
At a meeting on March 23rd 1909 the following agenda was discussed:-
To consider certain proposals for the improvement and extension of the premises. For some time they have been gravely hampered in their efforts to carry on the work by insufficient accommodation. Great difficulty has been found in providing seats that are acceptable for the worshippers.
It was proposed to extend the building over the Memorial Hall, providing room for the organ, choir, and seating accommodation for fifty additional persons.
But the most urgent necessity at present is for a church room for the Women’s Class, numbering sixty, now crowded together in a small room.
Erection of a boundary wall costing £25, doing away with the dangerous steps and constructing a gentle slope from the street to the schoolroom.
On April 21st Mr Stoyle reported that he had obtained promises of £156, so it was agreed to get on with the work, Mr Chalice of Exeter to be the architect. Tenders were opened on October 19th and that of Mr F. Newcombe, for £642.4.6 was accepted.
he opening day of the new premises and alterations was fixed for Wednesday April 27th 1910.