In its report of the opening the Circuit Record wrongly gives April 27th as the date. Other records make it clear that April 28th was the date, as given in the trustees’ minute book,
“April 27th was a red letter day in the history of Crediton Methodism, the beautiful new chapel being on that day opened for public worship, and dedicated to the service of God. The weather was everything that could be desired, and that, together with the anticipation of hearing our popular President, Dr Stephenson, brought together a large number of friends from Exeter, Tiverton and other places to join in the dedication services, and to rejoice with the Crediton friends over so successful a completion of the undertaking. All were delighted with the new premises which are so well situated, so convenient, so tastefully designed, and so well and substantially built. The chapel is an ornament to the town and worthily represents there our great church. Both the architect and builder, as well as those who initiated the scheme and have piloted it through, may be congratulated. The opening service was full of blessing. The tea tables were crowded, in the evening the chapel was crowded, when Mr J.H. Lile of London, presided. A statement was given by the treasurer, Mr Jennings. Brief addresses were given by The Rev E. Sinzininex, Messrs. W.H. Reed and J. Littlejohn. Then the President addressed the meeting at length in his own easy and interesting style.
The quarterly meeting was held at Crediton on June 29th 1892, when the membership was given as 31, with 23 juniors.
The first wedding solemnised in the new church was on March 26th 1895, between Mr G.H. Harris, of The Factory, Wadebridge and Miss Ellen Amy Stoyle, second daughter of Mr William Stoyle, Postmaster Crediton. The happy couple were presented with a handsomely bound copy of the Bible and Wesley’s hymns.